MMG-WOLAS Livelihood Development Plan Study
MMG LXML Sepon
GPDA (Vilabouly District) Savannakhet Provinces, Lao PDR.
April 2012 – November 2012
LXML Sepon operates gold and copper mines and processing facilities in a remote mountainous part of Vilabouly District, Savannakhet Province.
Previously, an Update Land Use Study has been undertaken by Earth systems Lao (ESL) as to update the current land use classification in GPDA. The area and location of some of the components of the CEP have now altered as mining plans progress. In addition, a number of additional potential gold oxide pits have been identified in the previous study area. So, a review of the previous Land Use Study is required to update information on impacts to village lands and inform the community development programs which are being implemented as mitigation strategies for the project.
The services provided include:
- Acquisition of new high-resolution and Preparation of satellite image;
- Test the classification;
- Classification / Digitization in GIS of various land use classes;
- Classification verification by field survey and ground truth;
- Comparison the land use change from year 2010 and 2012;
- Maps of agricultural and forest land use (including area estimates) and resource use in the GPDA and land belonging to GPDA villages;
- Recalculation of area of land owned by each GPDA village;
- Determination of the type and amount of land use affected by proposed project developments and the land use affected within each village boundary.